So far, and contrary to most expectations, the latest ceasefire between Ukraine and the eastern separatists, which was announced early yesterday, has managed to hold up. “Contrary” because while it is the talking point of the west that it is Putin’s desire to perpetuate the proxy civil war, in reality it was Ukraine’s own troops who voiced against a ceasefire as we reported yesterday:
“A ceasefire would be a disaster, we would lose everything. By fighting we can resist the invasion and send them back. With a ceasefire they will consolidate and carry on after a while,” said Ukrainian soldier Taras. Another Ukrainian soldier who gave his name as Mykola said Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko – who was attending the second day of a NATO summit in Wales on Friday – would “betray the country” if he backed a peace plan at this time.”
Ironically, their rebel opponents share the same but opposite opinion: “The ceasefire is looking good for now but we know they (the Ukrainian side) are only using it to bring in more forces here and ammunition and then to hit us with renewed strength,” said one rebel commander in Donetsk known by his nickname Montana.
In other words, both sides believe their adversary is merely using the break in the fighting to regroup and reinforce.
As to whether Ukraine’s chocolate oligarch has betrayed his country remains to be seen, but for now the fighting has indeed subsided and the two main confrontation hubs, rebel-held Donetsk and Ukraine-held Mariupol, were quiet on Saturday, despite some isolated shelling overnight near Donetsk’s airport, which remains in government hands. Mortar rounds were also fired at regular intervals through Saturday in the vicinity of the airport.
This post was published at Zero Hedge on 09/06/2014.